Retained by the General Contractor, Clark Builders Group, Advantage Engineers is providing construction observation and materials testing services for the construction of a luxury apartment development in Baltimore, Maryland. The project developer (ZOM Mid-Atlantic) will be developing the six-story 349-unit apartment building featuring an underground 331-space parking garage. The 2.2-acre property was the former home of a specialty hospital owned by the University of Maryland Medical Center.
Our scope of work includes the provision of field observation services during the installation of temporary sheeting and shoring systems, underpinning operations and tieback installation at the site as well as conformance verification with the approved construction documents.
Certified Advantage personnel will use nuclear, moisture density gauges to test the compaction of structural fill required to backfill utility excavations and raise site grades to proposed subgrade elevations. Under the direction of an Advantage professional engineer, our team will perform a visual observation as well as laboratory testing of soil, fill materials and field compaction for compliance with specifications.
The Advantage team will supply the client with daily foundation reports including confirmation of soil type and correlation to bearing capacity, areas of detection and amounts of groundwater, if encountered, as well as a review of reinforcing steel for conformance to project plans and specifications.
Our team of experts will provide a review and testing of cast-in place concrete in accordance with current ASTM and ACI standards. Advantage will test concrete cylinders and present the results in the final report documenting concrete construction.
In addition, Advantage is also providing the following services:
- Field-monitoring services for the installation of below-grade waterproofing systems;
- Post-tension cable inspections for condition, spacing, drape, size and anchorage;
- Testing and documentation of results for floor flatness and floor levelness of placed concrete;
- Review of structural steel, joists and decking, documenting all phases of the structural steel erection;
- Review and testing of spray-applied fireproofing for compliance with constructions documents; and,
- Verification of proportions of on-site prepared mortar, construction of mortar joints as well as the location of masonry reinforcements and connections.